Monday, December 1, 2014

Moreland Hills Elementary #4

On the day before Thanksgiving break, Mrs. Newman allowed me to come in for longer than usual so I could actually help her with a lesson.  After the children got back from lunch, they had to take their timed test and see if anyone was qualified to move up to a harder test.  Most the children that practiced and knew what they were doing excelled and some children still struggled with answering every question.  Following the test, the children were asked to take out their math packets and I was asked to sit at the front with the students that needed help to assist them.  I taught them how to add and subtract large numbers without actually counting it out.  I felt very excited that Mrs. Newman allowed me to actually teach the kids and I learned how I would go about helping my future students.  Next, the students gathered around the carpet to play a game about pioneers.  I helped the kids read what was on their cards and taught them how to play the game.  I thought this was a fun way to get every child involved and force them to pay attention to what everyone else was saying.  After I assisted each student to get comfortable reading aloud what was on their card, everyone seemed to be having fun.  I learned that not everyone can read at the same rate and some words are more challenging than others so being patient is key.  Lastly, Mrs. Newman read a book to calm everyone down before we helped them to clean out their desks and straighten up the classroom before the school day was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment